Since the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, a lot has changed in the way we live, travel and socialise. One of these changes is the requirement of PCR testing for citizens travelling out of the UK and a certificate confirming your COVID-19 status.
At Practical Nursing Agency, we offer rapid and convenient PCR testing with a fast turn-around to allow you to keep up with your busy schedule and get to your destination on time.
What is PCR Testing?
A Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test is performed to detect specific genetic materials from organisms like a virus.
A PCR test can detect the presence of a virus in infected persons at the time of the test. Even if you’re no longer infected, a PCR test can detect fragments of the virus.
What is a COVID-19 PCR Test?
There are different types of PCR tests for the different viruses. One of them is the COVID-19 PCR test used to diagnose people infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which is responsible for causing COVID-19. There are other tests used to test for COVID-19 but, the PCR test is considered the "gold standard for diagnosing COVID-19. It is the most reliable and accurate method of testing for SARS-CoV-2.
Why Should You Get a PCR Test?
The sole purpose of getting a PCR test done is to find out if you have COVID-19 or not. However, there are multiple reasons for getting the test.
The main reason is for peace of mind, especially for UK citizens that have recently travelled to COVID-19 hot zones or have been in contact with a person that has recently been diagnosed with the virus.
Travel is another reason why people seek PCR testing. Most countries now require you to have a certificate or proof to show you have been tested and the results are negative.
Regardless of the reasons for testing, you can rely on our expert and experienced nurses to conduct the PCR tests in strict adherence to the relevant medical procedures. We maintain the highest hygiene standards and full implementation of the social distancing guidelines at every coronavirus testing appointment.
We only work with the leading laboratories in London and the larger UK to provide reliable results in record time and provide fit-to-fly certificates.
How Does the COVID-19 PCR Test Work?
The COVID-19 PCR test is a three-step process. It involves the following stages:
- Sample collection – We use a sterile swab to collect a sample of respiratory material found n your nose. The swab has a soft tip and a long flexible stick inserted into your nose or throat. Once the sample is collected, the swab is sealed in a tube for transport to the laboratory.
- Extraction – Our team of experienced laboratory technologists receives the sample. They retrieve the swab from the sealed packaging and isolate the genetic materials from the sample in a process called extraction.
- PCR – Special chemicals and a thermal cycler (PCR machine) are used to cause a reaction that makes millions of copies of a small portion of the SARS-CoV-2 virus genetic material. One of the chemicals used produces a fluorescent light if the virus is present in the sample. The light is detected by the machine and interpreted using special software as a positive result.
Although the process sounds rigorous and lengthy, at Practical Nursing Agency, we can have the results back as early as the next day.
Our PCR Testing Services
We offer a comprehensive range of stress-free PCR testing services that will help you manoeuvre the challenges of COVID-19 with ease, which include:
- Home COVID-19 testing – For clients seeking convenience or who can't make it to our testing locations, we can come to you. We guarantee the same high standards and rigorous procedures when conducting PCR testing in your home.
- COVID-19 PCR tests for travel – Our PCR tests are approved by Public Health England, making them ideal for clients who need to travel. A fit-to-travel certificate is one of the mandatory requirements by many countries before crossing their borders. We can provide the certificates with short lead times for clients on short notice after testing.